Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rank Mamiya Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rank Mamiya « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ronnies
Tinkerer
Username: Ronnies

Post Number: 40

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 01:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe this model was known as the Mamiya 4B outside the UK.

I've just acquired one which seems to be working fine except that the whole lens and shutter assembly is a little loose and can be wiggled(technical term!) from side to side. When it moves it also seems to move the rangefinder patch view so obviously that can't be entirely trusted till I tighten things up.

Are there any instructions out there on how to get to the lens/shutter fixings?

Ronnie

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 343

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Mamiya Ruby that had a similar problem.
With mine I did the following: I peeled back the leatherette around the lens to get access to 4 screws holding the lens board. Those screws were not loose as I had hoped but the lens/shutter assembly was loose on the board. I opened the four screws and removed the complete board with lens and shutter which gave me access to the screws holding the shutter/lens assembly to the board. I tightened those and put everything together again.
But as I said it's a different camera so design might have changed.
Not sure if that helps you at all.

Good luck!
Martin

Ronnies
Tinkerer

Post Number: 41

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2013 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Martin. I'm sure they won't be that different. Easier than getting in from the front of the lens.

Like yours the looseness in mine is the lens/shutter assembly on the board.

Will report back.

Ronnie

Ronnies
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Job done exactly as Martin described. Only problem now is getting some new leatherette as the original stuff just disintegrated as I took it off.

Thanks again!

Ronnie

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 347

Posted on Monday, May 27, 2013 - 02:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to hear that it worked.

I have used leatherette from Morgan Sparks. I bought the sheet type leatherette - you can find it on his website:
http://www.cameraleather.com/
The sheet type is about letter sized, you can find samples how it looks here:
http://www.cameraleather.com/colors/
scroll down almost to the bottom to "Leaherette and Imitation Leather"

A few months ago there was some discussion here about orders never arriving for some camera specific sets (precut). Me I had never had any problems with the sheets. They arrived here in Austria (Europe) within 8-10 days. So my experience with cameraleather.com is positive.

Alternatively many people use e.g. leather from purses they buy cheaply at thrift stores etc.

There is a long thread about covering camers with other stuff here in this forum:
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/3/19261.html?1367602176

Hope this helps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration