Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Home on the yashica range Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Home on the yashica range « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Anson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Into my hands have fallen, Yashica Minister III,Yashica MG-1 and Konica Auto S2. Some years ago I had a Yashica ME. It was a good little machine so that when this crop arrived I got very excited. They are all in working order and I've been learning how to do a basic clean. The rangefinder on the Minister has almost vanished and while hyperfocal Distance focusing is almost foolproof for this fool, I would like to find out if its possible to restore that little yellow rectangle to its former glory or install a new one or what,what, what to do for this beautiful machine.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Under "Camera Articles" within this Forum you will find my contribution on the Minister III. It does not specifically address the rangefinder issue which you raise but it will help you access such should you deterimne to go the route.

The viewfinder yellow coincident image is produced by semi-silvered coating on one side of the diagonal glass in the viewfinder. That glass is called the "image-splitter".
The coating is very soft and will usually vanish if an attempt is made to clean it. You then end up with no rangefinder.

Perhaps some previous camera tinkerer has done just that !

The only fix is to replace that image splitter with a good one as possibly salvaged from another camera. Optical Labs can recoat it but the cost would be prohibitive.

Hope this helps.

Peter Anson

Posted on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Stuart. Your Minister article is an inspiration for newcomers.....Pete

Peter Anson

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a salvage camera with good rangefinder.Stuart,you were right. A previous tinkerer had been very busy. The two screws holding the assembly in place were a little the worse for wear and not at all tight.On the salvage one things were tight and unmarked. I spent a long time looking at it all. I got Stuart's Minister article up on the sceen for insiration. Then did it. Carefully. Slowly. And it looks good. A bright finder that works. It may need adjustment so that will be the next step. Thanks again Stuart.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration